The Virginia Washington Monument is an equestrian statue located adjacent to the Virginia State Capitol in Capitol Square, in the city of Richmond, Virginia. In 1858, it became the second equestrian statue of George Washington to be unveiled in the United States (following the one in Union Square, New York City, unveiled in 1856). It is the terminus for Grace Street.
The cornerstone of the monument was laid in 1850. During the American Civil War, it was the location for the inauguration of Jefferson Davis as President of the Confederate States of America on February 22, 1862, and later was incorporated into the design of the Great Seal of the Confederate States. It was not completed until after the war, in 1869.
The monument features a 21-foot 18,000-pound bronze statue of Washington on horseback. The base of the monument (finished after the Civil War) includes statues of six other noted Virginians who took part in the American Revolution: Thomas Jefferson, Patrick Henry, Andrew Lewis, John Marshall, George Mason, Thomas Nelson Jr..